The Jeffersonian Republicans Sample Essay.
HIS 101 Chapter 6 (from page 245) Open-Book Quiz
- The following views are characteristic of the Federalists, except one. Which of the following is typical of the Jeffersonian Republicans?
They defended “states’ rights”.
- Which of the following is NOT true of the US government while George Washington was president?
The Naturalization Act of 1790 allowed any free person (even non-whites) to be a citizen after residing in the US for at least two years.
- Which of the following is NOT true about Alexander Hamilton?
Hamilton’s support of banking led to his policy that each state should have a bank. For this reason he opposed Jefferson’s plan for a national bank.
- The Constitution does not explicitly give Congress the authority to create a national bank. Consequently, the Democratic Republicans (who insisted on a strict interpretation of the Constitution, as opposed to the flexibility of the Federalists), were able to use the “necessary and proper” clause to prevent the creation of the first Bank of the United States.
- What most worried the Federalists, like Alexander Hamilton, was the “poison” of “democracy”.
- When Jefferson wrote that “the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants,” he was condemning the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror.
- Jefferson was for the French Revolution, Hamilton against, but both understood why President Washington declared neutrality in the wars in Europe (despite the treaty of alliance signed with France during the American Revolution).
- Jay’s Treaty (1794) was extremely unpopular as far as public opinion was concerned, but it did preserve peace with Great Britain.
- Which of the following is NOT related to violence with Native Americans or domestic violence over taxation?
Pinckney’s Treaty (1795)
- Which of the following is NOT true regarding the settlement of western territories.
Federalists wanted to encourage settlers to move west and start making money by farming.
- Nine presidents owned slaves, but Washington was the only president who refused to free his slaves upon his death.
- Which of the following is NOT true about John Adams?
He was willing to go to turn the Quasi War into a true war, since the people wanted it, and Adams wanted to be reelected at any cost.
- The French government at the time of the XYZ affair was called “the Directory”. Instead of having a king, or president, the executive was led by five “directors”. This is shown in the cartoon in the textbook by…
A man with five heads holding a dagger.
- John Adams’s support of the “Alien and Sedition Acts” which violated Constitutional rights, was the “greatest mistake of his presidency”.
- Matthew Lyon, born in Ireland, was a leading Federalist convicted under the Sedition Act and thrown in jail. He was reelected to Congress while in prison.
- Which of the following statements is NOT true?
John Adams was probably the least happy person at Jefferson’s inauguration in the nation’s new capital at Washington, D.C.