The French colony sample essay,
HIS 101 Chapter 4 Open-Book Reading Quiz
- Which of the following statements is NOT true about the French colony of New France?
To encourage immigration to New France, the French government introduced politic rights to the colony similar to those allowed in the English colonies.
- What did you have to have in order to vote in the colonies (and back in Britain)?
- Which of the following is NOT true of role of English colonies according to mercantilism?
They would produce personal wealth for the monarch who owned them.
- Which of the following is NOT related to constitutional monarchy in England?
William and Mary were good Catholics.
- Which of the following was NOT an example of a British policy that angered many colonists in America?
- Which of the following is NOT true about the French and Indian War?
The English nearly won, but were defeated by the French in 1763.
- Which of the following is NOT true about the Treaty of Paris that ended the French and Indian War?
It was signed in 1783.
- Which of the following statements is NOT true?
After 1763, few people immigrated to the American colonies due to the constant threat of war and high taxes.
- American merchants may not have agreed with all of the Navigation Acts, but they recognized the authority of Parliament to regulate trade within the Empire. The Sugar Act (1764) and Stamp Act (1765), however, were different because…
They were meant to raise revenue, not regulate trade.
- Which was NOT true of Whigs in Colonial America?
The agreed that Americans were represented in Parliament “virtually” and therefore should pay the Stamp Act.
- Which of the following was NOT a reaction AGAINST the Stamp Act?
The Townshend Acts.
- Which of the following is NOT directly linked to the British Military presence in the 13 Colonies?
The Boston Tea Party.
- Which of the following is NOT an example of growing cooperation amongst the 13 colonies?
The appointment of General Thomas Gage as governor of Massachusetts.
- What did Phillis Wheatley highlight as “absurd”?
White colonists claiming their freedom while continuing to exercise “oppressive power” over enslaved Africans.
- Which is NOT a reason given in the textbook to explain why Americans fought for Independence?
The Americans had to pay more taxes than people in other countries.